Friday 1 October 2010

Cross Bones

Ever felt like a total dunce? I've felt like one quite often the last couple of weeks. Why? Because I've been reading a Temperance Brennan book.




Cross Bones is the 8th novel from Kathy Reichs featuring her creation Dr Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist who consults on criminal cases in both the US and Canada. The novels, much like the TV show Bones, focuses on Brennan aiding law enforcement in the solving of murders. That's pretty much all the two have in common though. While the show is a glamorous, high tech product of the post CSI TV landscape the books are a much more grounded affair, focusing on the scientific realities of murder cases requiring the specific expertise of someone of Brennans particular discipline.

Which is where the confusion, and feeling like a dunce, comes in. Now, I flatter myself that I am a reasonably intelligent bloke, sort of, but I do tend to struggle with science of any kind. For me to persevere with something that has a lot of specific technical jargon that is necessary to the plot and can not be skimmed, I need to be properly hooked on the plots and I need to enjoy spending time with the characters. That's why I long ago stopped reading Patricia Cornwells Kay Scarpetta books* but have every intention of catching up and then keeping up with Reichs' work.

Temperance Brennan, or Tempe, is a far more well rounded and interesting character than her television namesake. A more, shall we say, mature, character, she comes intact with ex-husband, college age daughter and history of alcohol abuse. The 'will they/won't they' love interest is provided early in the series by Detective Andy Ryan, an ex bad boy turned cop with an eye for the ladies. I say early in the series because by the time of Cross Bones it's a pretty definite 'yes they will', with the characters firmly ensconced in a relationship and co-habitation being discussed.

It's this aspect of the books that keep me coming back. While the crime plots are as ingenious as you could want (this one takes in a trip to the Holy Land and a skeleton that may or may not be Jesus) and the science is pretty well laid out for the layman (it must be if I can get my head around it, albeit after multiple readings of the techy passages) the real strength of these books are the characters and Reichs willingness to a) develop their personal lives from book to book, avoiding the reset button, and b) do so in a believable, realistic and relatable manner that never seems forced and allows the characters to live and breathe on the page in a way some other ciphers singularly fail to do.

As far as crime thrillers go Reichs, for me, is up there in the top 3, alongside Mark Billingham and Val McDermid, and I'll be reading for as long as she keeps them coming.

*There is a quote on the back of my Cross Bones paperback that says 'It is becoming apparent that Reichs is not just "as good as " Cornwell, she has become the finer writer'. I'm not sure at what point that review was written because I seem to remember it being used in the blurbs of the last couple I've read as well but in my opininon it was readily apparent from the time her first book hit the shelves that she was always the 'finer writer'.

No comments:

Post a Comment